Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ride, Sally, Ride!









Ok so I know I haven't posted in a really long time and I apologize for that, but you see this whole vet school + exam week + puppy really isn't leaving me with much time. Anyway it's Saturday and I'm 75% done with Exam Round II so I'll take the time to catch you up a little about what's been happening in my very "interesting" life. So as many of you know I still have my foster puppy and I renamed him Tucker. He's very cute but unfortunately eats not only my socks, but also my time. I have a ton of stuff to catch you up on since it is November 6th and my last post was something like 15 days ago! Wow have I been slacking…ok so the same weekend I got the puppy Emily and I finally got our car! She is a lovely "green" '96 Nissan Sentra and we decided that her name is Sally. Sally has been treating us very well for thus far so fingers crossed that they'll be no major problems. Of course no car on this island is perfect and Sally has her little quirks for instance she doesn't understand the concept of headlights, they are bright or they are not on...those are the only two options. Sally doesn't really like to tell us what speed we're going so we like to pretend we are going the speed limit as Reich would say, "all of the time". Haha she also isn't fond of having her back end (trunk) opened with a key, but can you really blame her? I don't think so. Luckily the trunk lever inside the car works just fine. Driving on the island has been somewhat of an adventure, but I think we are doing a pretty good job. Note to self: you need to look to the right before you look to the left before pulling onto a road! Both Emily and I will be driving on the wrong side of the road when we get home so be careful! Transferring the car into our names and getting insurance was quite the adventure. We had to go the police station to transfer the ownership over to us which was a huge hassle because the police women want to be completely unhelpful. Apparently we had the engine number wrong and the only help they would give us was to say to go to a mechanic and have him read it for us. So of course the person selling the car to us went to her mechanic and he wrote down a number and of course when we brought it into the station it was wrong, however only two numbers were reversed so the police woman finally helped us out and just did it. So after that we went into town to get insurance which was a very long and drawn out process but the lady was very nice and she assured us that the best way to live life is to "just hold fast" so from now on Emily and I are holding fast.

Anyway this round of exams was a hell of a lot harder than the first round but luckily I passed everything so as of now I'm still on my way to becoming a veterinarian! As our anatomy professors pointed out we are now just about 75% done with our first semester; however, the piece representing how much we've completed of our vet school career was minuscule. One step at a time I suppose. I've been a little home sick lately and just a little burnt out, but I'm trying to work through it. I think the most depressing thing is the lack of seasons. I cannot believe its November, I mean seriously! Halloween came and went and I would have been none the wiser if it weren't for a certain anatomy professor painting half her body as a skeleton and half as muscle and the little kids who came around trick-or-treating in the classrooms. The weekend before Halloween Emily and I carved a pumpkin which was cool, but that was the extent of our celebration. It's weird to think that most of you back home are wearing winter coats and walking around with long sleeves and pants right about now.


I have had a lot to deal with lately and on top of everything the puppy is sick today with a fever so of course my mind is not in study mode. I'll try to keep you updated more frequently, but these days life is keeping me extremely busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment