Friday, October 15, 2010

The Bad Thing About Rape Is…

Today (Thursday) was a rather uneventful day being the day after our last exam of round 1 everyone was just waiting for the weekend. As I mentioned the other day I baked a cake to celebrate the ending our exam round 1 and of course I brought it into school to share with everyone! I was trying to play "catch-up" all day with the classes that I moved to the side to study for my exams and that sort of worked. I studied anatomy for a while so at least I know what's going on in the pelvic limb now. Histology is still a mystery to me, but I'll figure it out and I finally understand what afterload is so physiology is coming slowly (Don't you dare make a "that's what she said…" joke!) The most eventful class today would hands-down go to Nutrition. As you recall I dedicated a post a few days ago to my hilarious Nutrition professors, well here's another one for you. As we are discussing different feed stuffs we get to canola or also known as the rape plant. In the words of Dr. Naylor, "I assure you rape is not a sexually deviant little plant, but the problem with rape is it…". Of course he was drowned out by laughter, but if you are actually interested in the scientific reason why the rape PLANT is bad it's because it contains an acid which can be toxic to the animals that eat it. If you are really interested the difference between canola and rape isn't just a name difference to make canola seem more appealing, it's the fact that the canola plant has been modified to not contain this toxin. Yep this is the stuff I learn in nutrition! Also in case you were wondering, "the problem with Canada is that they can't grow soybeans, but they can produce a TON of rape". Haha, ok on a more serious note (not really), did you know that hay bales can spontaneously combust? I guess if you've worked on a farm you would, but I had no idea. Pretty cool! Anyway a good life lesson, don't let a wet hay bale play with the other hay bales in the barn unless you could be without a barn!

1 comment: