Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day of Arrival: August 28 2010

Barbados Black Bellied Sheep
Dining on the Beach

Taxi Bus & Mr. Rogers
After what seemed like an endless day of checking luggage, waiting for flights, and of course flying I finally arrived in St. Kitts which will be my new home for the next 2 ½ years! I'm not going to lie, it was a very stressful and difficult day, but I survived and I'm hoping life is going to be awesome here. Checked my luggage and said my goodbyes, I waited at Gate 12 for my flight. Everything went smoothly as I boarded the flight and found my seat. It was early in the morning so I tried to sleep as some movie with Queen Latifa followed by an episode of The Office played on the screens. I landed in Miami at around 8:30 and promptly found the gate where my next flight would leave in roughly 2 hours. I met quite a few students who were also starting at Ross and we chatted for awhile. I stepped off the plane in St. Kitts and followed the other passengers into the airport where I was filed into the Immigration line. I handed my passport over along with my Immigration letter and after a few minutes I was admitted into St. Kitts. I found the conveyor belt with the luggage and watched for my 3 bags frantically for what felt like days! I finally spotted my bags and a very nice porter helped me carry them to Customs where a very nice Customs man looked through my bags. I left Customs and walked out to a big welcome by the many Ross representatives and my orientation leader, Scott, who were all waiting to help. It was very overwhelming, but my orientation group all came together and Mr. Rogers, our bus driver, drove us all to our apartments. The drive to the apartment was an adventure since driving is so different here than back in the States. Mr. Rogers and Scott helped me carry my bags to my apartment where I was warmly welcomed by my new roommate Emily and her mom, Linda! I got to my room still a little frazzled from my new surroundings and the lack of sleep and I started unpacking and getting settled in. As I was making my bed I heard a deep baahing sound and to my surprise there was a herd of, what I thought were, goats not 10 feet from my bedroom window. The "goats" are actually Barbados Black-Bellied Sheep, but I dare you to tell me you knew they weren't goats!

No comments:

Post a Comment