Sunday, September 19, 2010

Three Day Weekend :)


Contrary to popular belief my life really isn't all that exciting even though I'm on a beautiful Caribbean island, but I will continue to bore you with existence here. So the weekend is here and I'm pretty excited about that, but it also means that I have some down time to start missing people and stuff from home. After class on Friday we went to the port to walk around and then we went grocery shopping. I got to see the baby monkeys that the local people steal from the mothers and put in diapers all day so that they can convince people to take pictures with them for $20 US. Yeah the monkeys were really, really cute, but I feel bad for them and wish my first up close monkey citing was of wild monkeys. Ru got to hold a baby monkey while we were there and it bit her, but it was just a little nibble. I saw a monkey here one other time, but we were driving in the car so I don't count it. I'm still waiting to see wild monkeys! I'm getting a little tired of the food shopping situation here...everything is just so expensive and I can never find what I actually want. I spent Saturday on campus in the anatomy lab studying all of the muscles in the thoracic limb and tried to learn the attachments. Anatomy is a slow and arduous process, but hopefully I'll have time to go tomorrow and solidify everything I've gone over so far. I also had a histology TA session where our TA taught us all about "point and shoot", which is a great way to remember that the parasympathetic nervous system controls erection and the sympathetic nervous system controls ejaculation. We all found that amusing so I thought I would share it with you. After the TA session Alex drove Ru and I home and we studying histology for awhile before Ru was falling asleep and I decided to make some dinner. We had rice in the fridge so I decided to experiment and make some chicken fried rice. It ended up taking a little longer than expected and was only mediocre at best, but it was edible. As we were about to sit down to eat our neighbors Josh, Tracy, and their friend Heather bombarded our doorway and asked if they could come in because they were locked out of their apartment. We decided to make the best of it and played cards, rummy to be exact, which seems to be one of their favorite things to do. We all had fun until they could get back into their apartment. After they left Ru and I decided to go back to our original plan for the night and watched a movie. We watched one of my favorite movies ever, The Emperor's New Groove and we were both reciting lines the whole time so it was fun. Today, Sunday, we decided we needed a break and a bunch of us went to the beach at the Marriott. Everyone brought their snorkeling gear so Alex let me borrow her mask for a while and I got see some pretty cool fish! I got sunburn on my shoulders, back, and face which is unfortunate, but I still had a really awesome time. While we were there it started storming so there was lightening and beautiful rainbow at the same time which was pretty neat. It has been a fairly good weekend and guess what I don't have classes tomorrow. Tomorrow is St. Kitts Independence Day so it is the one and only holiday that the school closes for! I'm still planning to go to campus to study anatomy at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment