Thursday, September 16, 2010

Study, Study, Study...and Sex Jokes?


taken from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7242966@N04/485895008
I'm sorry for not writing a new post in a few days but I've been super busy! My brain is slowly shutting down from overload and so I figured I would take this time to take a break from the studying and share some things with you. Believe me in the past few days I have barely had time to blink so I'm really glad that tomorrow is Friday and that I have three day weekend coming (very exciting). So honestly I can't remember what has really happened since the last time I updated you all on my daily life so I apologize now if I repeat anything I've already told you or if I leave out a whole bunch of mundane details. My days are starting to blend together, but I think I can somewhat differentiate what is happening. Anyway, this week I had my introduction to large animal palpation and introduction to radiology. Large animal palp was pretty exciting because we actually got to touch a live horse and we will be routinely using these horses to learn how to palpate different muscles and tendons and things of that nature, which is really cool. This is one of the perks of going to a vet school out of the country; we actually get to touch live animals starting in our first semester (partly because we don't have certain animal rights groups bothering us about it). These horses are all geriatric horses (in their twenties and thirties) that wouldn't have a home if the university didn't purchase them and they are very well taken care of here. Intro to radiology was honestly pretty boring, but reading radiographs (xrays) is an acquired skill and having this early exposure will hopefully make me better at it for the future. Tomorrow I will have Intro to Small Animal palpation where we will get to palpate the dogs in the University's dog colony. So not only do I get to play with live horses, but I'll also get to play with live dogs (although not this week, but starting soon!). In anatomy we also finished our dissection of the canine thoracic limb so YAY!

Okay so I bet you're wondering about my title for this post aren't you. Well if you aren't then you are a crazy person. So it seems that despite the level of craziness exhibited by veterinary students, the veterinary professors greatly surpass this level; in plain English-They are Crazy!!! Over the past couple of days I've noticed a pattern to all of this craziness and it seems that sex is on all of their brains (possibly, maybe because it relates to the topics we are learning, but then again not so much). So the first instance of this craziness was exhibited by none other than our favorite Slovakian hero, Dr. Z who in the middle of lecture he addresses the class and asks, "Do you like sex, by the way?" After we all laughed he quickly said, "Oh no, don't answer! That's a crazy question", which of course it was, but nonetheless absolutely hilarious! Then today in nutrition Dr. R was going over why there happens to be a lot of glycogen in skeletal muscles. If you don't know glycogen is the storage form of glucose which the body can use for energy when we aren't eating food because the body needs energy ALL OF THE TIME and we aren't always eating. Anyway, he starts giving us this hypothetical situation where he says we are lying on our beds watching a movie when the door rattles and some "nastiness" comes in and our skeletal muscles must react QUICKLY to get away. He explains that while we were lying down watching a movie there wasn't much blood flowing to the skeletal muscles and then he proclaims. "We're not going to discuss where your blood was flowing" <wink, wink>. Then right after nutrition we have physiology where we were discussing the controls of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system and the professor is explaining the organs that are controlled by each and when he gets to penis he took a long awkward pause so of course the entire class is laughing and he just says, "I don't understand every time we discuss this section the students always laugh" as if he is clueless that he was uber awkward about the entire thing. So yeah, basically all of my professors are a bunch of perverted crazies, but at least it makes life entertaining! Before I forget during our second session of nutrition today we were talking about how the mother passes on her antibodies to her baby so that when the baby comes in contact with the bacteria and ickiness of the vagina it is protected. Oh and did you know that giraffes give birth standing up? I bet you never thought about it, but that new born giraffe has to fall about 6 feet from the vagina to the ground in all likeliness on its head...welcome to the world baby giraffe, here's some brain damage!


 

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud. A baby giraffe plops out of the womb, on to the ground- multiple issues there- and the first thing you think of is brain damage :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha what was I supposed to be thinking about? I feel like brain damage is the most obvious!

    ReplyDelete