Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Tuesday of Technical Difficulties

Photo Courtesy of Ru :)

So today was a Tuesday of technological failures and waiting. Waiting for what you asked? Well I was waiting for something important information to be bestowed upon me. Unfortunately it was a day of tedious and boring lectures about nothing. This morning we had anatomy lecture where we covered how to use our clicker devices for answering questions for an hour and 20 minutes. This was totally unnecessary and such a waste of time. Seriously something that could have taken 20 minutes turned into a huge fiasco that ended up making us late for the second half of anatomy. For the lecture on the thoracic limb of the horse we were supposed to be in classroom 1 which is a little bit away from the anatomy lab. We were late to begin with so by the time everyone was settled we already had a late start, but to make matters worse all the technology around us started to die. The projector wasn't getting a signal from the computer, the computer wouldn't restart, the microphone wouldn't turn on- it was just a mess! After about 15-20 minutes everything was working again and the professor rushed through the lecture but she didn't finish. Apparently in vet school when professors aren't where they want to be at the end of a lecture they can schedule extra lecture time whenever is "convenient" for the entire class. I can understand why we had to make up our Nutrition lecture which was a whole hour, but 15 minutes, seriously?! Not only do we have to make up these 15 minutes, but the lecture ran until a few minutes 10am when the class really ends at 9:50 so technically they owe me time back in my opinion. After rushing to histology lab with literally a 6 minute break we find out that Dr. B decides to start 2 minutes early since he has, "200 slides to get through today". Of course this class couldn't be free from technical difficulties so Dr. B's mic decided that it wanted to sound like a terrible tape recording complete with loads of static. He pressed on with the lecture after figuring out that he could not fix the sound quality and we just had to put up with the horrible noise for the 2 hours of lecture. To make matters worse he went through the lecture at lightning speed so I'm not really sure what we covered since it was hard to keep up. After a frustrating morning we had our lunch break which was without mishaps, but I was still waiting for there to be some information that I actually cared about learning today. I was sorely disappointed with a full afternoon of Intro to Vet Med. One of the very nice professors gave a lecture on what to expect over these next 4 years and beyond, but really I felt that it was added stress that I didn't really need to focus on right now (stuff like the board exams, and foreign equivalencies, and internships, etc). From there we split up into 4 groups and my group had "Ethical Skills Lab". To be honest it wasn't that bad, but it was fairly straightforward and I think it took longer than it really needed to. I would have liked there to be more time actually spent discussing ethics rather than going step by painstaking step through the two ethical case studies we looked at. Anyway we were all done with school for the day and Alex drove Ru and I home. I talked to my mom on the phone for a little while and then got to work on some physiology. Today was a long day and I was so tired of studying after physiology I tried to motivate myself to continue, but I ended up making some black beans and rice for dinner instead. After dinner Ru and decided to read through the Palpation Guide and we continued to study for histology. We were getting a little silly towards the end so we finally decided to stop for tonight and that is that. Sorry for the whiny, boring post, but sometimes we all just have these days… I know you were all waiting to hear something amusing or whimsical, or compelling, but you'll just have to wait until tomorrow. To quote a t-shirt, "Vet School: It's hard…That's what she said".

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, I got in my shits and giggles when you mentioned that YOU were assigned to the group which was dealing with ethics =P

    ReplyDelete