Wednesday, September 8, 2010

To Create a New Big Picture We Must Redefine All of the Little Things First


Today is my third day of vet school and apparently I lied to whomever I told that I wouldn't be writing on here for awhile. I have found that it gives me a great way to decompress after classes before I set down to study. Sorry about all the spelling/leaving out words/grammatical errors that were in my blog post yesterday, but as you can see (if you care to look) I haven't corrected them, because well I'm too lazy to go back in an edit it, LOL. Anyway those errors partly help describe my state of mind while writing which was just try to outpour information that would keep us both mildly entertained so that I could stop thinking about all the studying I had to do. Last night I got a lot more accomplished than I thought I would because we had the whole afternoon off and got out at 2 instead of 5pm which made a huge difference. Anyway, my point is that I will try to continue to write here to both let you know what's going on in life and as a way for me to get say a 20 minute break in between classes and studying!

Today, like every day I started with anatomy lab. My letter group was scheduled for Clinical Skills lab where we learned how to hold our instruments and we were timed to see how long it took for us to correctly move beads from one section of a container to another using these instruments. It sounds boring, but it was actually pretty fun and the hour flew by. Then, I got my bone box from anatomy (basically an assortment of canine bones that we have to memorize and get to play with. Today was also my first day of physiology which actually doesn't seem like it's going to be too bad, although the volume of information is still incredible. After classes I studied for a while with Emily and then Mike and Alex came over to study with us and my handy dandy bone box. We went through all the bones of the forearm and have started the process of setting them deep into our memories. I'm already started to burn out as this week seems to go on forever, but just two more days and then the weekend is here. Of course I'll have a lot of studying to do over the weekend, but I'll get to sleep in a few more hours and hopefully throw some fun in there too!

Vet school seems to be about pulling tiny details from everywhere, learning them, and then assembling them into a big picture. I can tell you now that anatomy is like learning a new language and the other classes are very detail orientated with a larger picture at the horizon. All of this information is leading somewhere (hopefully leading to becoming a great vet), but in order to get there, I've determined, we need to assemble all of the little details into a new "big picture" (kind of like those paintings that are made using only tiny dots of color, do you know what I mean?).

No comments:

Post a Comment